Hearing that your aging parent has to have heart surgery can be intimidating both for your parent and for you. It is very important to remember that, while major, this is a fairly common surgical procedure that is completed successful every day throughout the country. By taking the time to sit down with your parent and talk about their upcoming surgery you can ease your own stress and calm your parent’s fears, making both of you feel more confident heading into this important and life-saving procedure.
Use these tips to help you talk to your parent about their upcoming heart surgery:
- Make sure that they understand why they are getting the surgery and the goals that their doctor has for it. By understanding the intended benefits your parent can feel more confident and less anxious.
- Encourage your parent to ask any questions that they might have. If you are not comfortable answering them or do not know what to tell them, set a time to talk to their doctor about it. Make sure that they get all of the answers that they need.
- Reassure them that this is a procedure that is done every day and that their doctor knows their individual needs. Help them to feel less alone.
- Go over any instructions that the doctor might have given for how to prepare, such as changes to their diet, any weight they might need to lose, or any further tests or procedures that they might need prior to their surgery so that they feel empowered and ready to do what they need to do to be prepared for the procedure.
- Discuss care for after the surgery, including the benefits of senior care.
- Approach the topic of end-of-life wishes if this is something that would make them feel better.
Starting senior care can be a fantastic choice to help your elderly parent enjoy the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the care, support, and assistance that they need. This means that they are able to manage their needs and challenges in the ways that are right for them. Through a set of highly personalized services this care provider can help your parent to stay healthy, happy, safe, and comfortable while also pursuing a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, and independent as possible. As their family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that your parent is in good hands both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Holmdel Township, NJ, please contact the caring staff at Lares Home Care 888-492-3538 or 732-566-1112.